Friday, February 10, 2017

Elijah's Letter





My Dearest Elijah
A letter to you because you will need it.

I took you to the store today and you didn’t realize it but I was
crying…. you couldn’t see my tears because they were all on the
inside, you just saw my smile. I watched you pick shirts that you
thought were perfect for you and you couldn’t have been more correct. The shirts were perfect. Once you took off the old t-shirt you were wearing and put on the crisp new button up shirt your face was full of pride, you puffed up your chest as you grinned sharply at the store clerk. You always had a way with the ladies and I can only see that expanding from here.

So why I was crying inside as you were glowing on the outside. Tonight is an almost
magical night you will go to sleep and wake in the morning as a new man, literally. Around the
world in many cultures a boy becomes a man at the age of 13 and you my friend will have
arrived. You will be 13 and while we are just American’s without much true culture left I
recognize that for me and you this journey out of childhood has been a transition like none other.
I will no longer be the mother of four boy and one girl but rather three boys, one girl and one
young man.

Why does it even matter to me that you're growing up or that you’ve passed from childhood
to young adulthood? It’s a simple explanation for me and I want you to understand too. Now that
you have come of age it is time that all the work I put in gets put to the test. I get to step back and
watch you grow. I don’t want to step back but honestly it is one of the most important moments
for me as a parent and it is part of how God designed it. I will continue to pray for you as you
have to make decisions on your own and I will still be there for you if you want advise when
things get confusing or challenging. Most importantly I want you to understand that all the work
we did together talking about honesty, respect and integrity, the times I had to actively discipline
you and the times I got to stand back and smile as you demonstrated how much you understood
through your words and actions were just the training phase. 
     
        Today you begin your implementation phase where you will show God, me and the world how 
much you learned and how well you learned it. Please remember all the things we talked about and 
as you go forward remember that God comes first, if you decided to walk with Him in word and deed, 
talk with Him when you're in the weeds and run to Him when life seems dim He will see you through!
 ( I know this is true)

     My life changed the day I held your body just minutes after your car wreck. I didn’t know if
I would get to see this day come but God was faithful and today much like that day when I
surrendered you to him for healing I get to surrender your life to Him completely for the
remainder of your growth. It is with great honor and joy that I submit back to Him what He so
faithfully entrusted to me. This scripture became my silent prayer just a few short days after you
entered the hospital and now I am sharing it with you in hope you will always remember it. It
says;

Because of the LORD’s faithful love
we do not perish,
for His mercies never end.
They are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness!
I say: The LORD is my portion,
therefore I will put my hope in Him.
Lamentations 3:22-24

     From this point forward you are a young man and I expect you to exercise what you have
learned. I will do my best as a mother to respect your new position and I hope that in turn you
will honor God by honoring Him and me with your words and your actions.

All my love,
               Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment